Monday, November 14, 2005

I could have been a contender...

The company outing took place on Friday. It consisted of 5 a side soccer on an outdoor pitch in driving, freezing rain. It was more of a wet T-shirt competition than a football game (or three) to be perfectly frank. The boys were happy.

I discovered something new about myself that night. I discovered that if I had played football from an early age, had developed skills and practiced regularly I could have been quite good at it.

I'm serious!
ronaldhino
Fionaldhino...? (thanks to the boy for this play on words)

I could see all of these wonderful plays taking place in my minds eye while I was on the pitch and even managed to pull one off, and scored a goal on the half volley. It was impressive, believe me (well I was impressed anyway!) However as a rule my lack of skill let me down, consistently. The sad part is that, I feel that at this stage of my life, any chance of a career has passed me by. But I will always have the memories of how I could have played to keep me going...

No comments: