Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Views from a holiday

I have uploaded a choice few photographs taken while on my hols onto to Flickr. But I'm going to post some here as well with some comments. These photos were all taken on my camera phone as I haven't quite stretched to a digital camera yet but I think considering the technology I'm using that they turned out pretty well over all. Let me know what you think!

image048.jpg

This photo was taken in le Grand Place in Belgium. The building is of gothic architecture and towers over all of the beautifully gilded yet much smaller medieval guild houses which surround the square. This was the Mecca for tourists in the city and while everyone else ran for cover as the dark clouds threatened I took the opportunity to take this snapshot.

image014.jpg

This is St. Catherine's church in Brussels. It was destroyed some time back in the day and this is a nineteenth century reproduction of the original. Its badly weather worn and didn't really photograph well however I couldn't resist the image of the chip van, fancy as it is stuck in front of it! Damn fine frites though!

image053.jpg

This is Le Manneken Pis, he's absoloutely tiny. The day I took the photo as you can see someone had made a half hearted attempt to dress him up. Apparantly its tradition for heads of states to bring costumes with them when visiting Brussels in order to dress the Manneken. His wardrobe is now so large that they have allocated a special museum all for his clobber. Maddness. Personnaly I didn't find him at all charming just funny. And the amount of tack you can buy in the strategically located gift shops was even more entertaining. My personal favourite was the cork screw with the screw part you put in the cork coming out of his little man hood! Priceless!

image023.jpg

This is the Atomium which was built for the World Trade Fair in 1959. They were fixing it with cranes when we went to visit and was closed. And that's about as exciting as it got here! Also in the park in Laeken they have a mini Europe theme with copies of famous landmarks from EU states. Thrilling. There is also a replica Chinese style house and Japanese tower built by Leopold II (boo hisss I don't like him).

So there are the holiday snaps the question re who buys the lace will be answere later...

1 comment:

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Print your photographs as postcards and sell. Or develop them into picture story books of your holidays.

See what I am doing with borrowed pictures on http://kissesandroses.com and my book is coming out soon and will be distributed by Amazon.