Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A Bullrush in the Eye

My friend JG called on me yesterday to come pay him a visit and drink a cup of tay with him as he had injured his eyeball! My inate curiousity overcame my hunger and need to study and I dropped in on him to find out just how this unusual injury occured, and grant him the delightful gift of my company for a portion of the evening. It was as is usually the case when JG and I get together an evening of random discussions, good coffee and lots of laughing with the added bonus that I got to screw up my face in horror at the damage to his said eyeball.

The incident which led to his disfigurement is a typical JG scenario and one that anyone that knows him will appreciate and laugh along with just as he is at the moment. Mr G every summer takes himself off to Killarney National Park to butcher Rhododendron trees in an effort to save the Oak forrest in the park.

Rhododendron
Rhododendron trees in all their glory.

This is indeed a noble venture by my friend each year and he states that the fact that there are many nubile young German women and lots of "recreational" activity has absoloutely nothing do with his commitment to the cause. On this occassion on the last day of the purging of the rhododendron Mr G was considering to himself how fortunate he had been in all his years not to have suffered an injury of an sort in what is after all very physical activity. According to himself it was about 20 mins before the end of the day and there was one gigantic mother of a tree left to uproot and move. Mr G being a strapping lad of over 6 foot decided gallantly to let the ladies take a breather and proceeded to move the monster on his own. In the midst of turning the tree to position it in a way which would prevent the deer for eating the young saplings next spring the accident occured.

Bullrush
A giant Bullrush!

A giant Bullrush which he had obviously knocked against swung back at home dived behind his glasses and gouged him in the eye. My friend when I visited him is now sporting an oozing weeping redened optic and a pair of very fine pimp effect sun glasses stuck together with blue tack, he is also sitting entrenched in a darkened room listening to Led Zepplin. He's bored but happy and will make a full recovery by friday for his birthday I have no doubt.

No comments: