Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Friendships

Despite my moaning and the fact that I was feeling very crappy yesterday (still do if anyone is interested) I dragged my ailing body out to meet some friends last night. 2 friends to be precise at different times and different places. It turned into a very emotional night for me. One mate I knew was having difficulties and I am glad that she can talk to me about it and I love that fact that we are so honest about how we feel. So despite the fact the subject of our conversation was mostly difficult and upsetting it was a positive encounter and I think we both felt that everything was better out than in! So I was a little tired but feeling good after seeing her and definately a lot happier about how she was coping with all the crap she has to deal with when I headed off to meet friend number 2 for what I thought would be a little walk and a big catch up session. No. It turns out she too was having a serious crises the type that turns your life up side down and inside out and she had been keeping it all to herself for the past 6 weeks. I felt so sad on her behalf and so helpless. All I could do was listen. But what else is there to do?
I still feel a bit shell shocked and I can't help wondering if I am feeling this bad how is she managing to not let the whole world know that she is feeling all that pain and anger and upset. The up side is that she said that she felt stronger and better for having spoken about it which I suppose is why they say that a problem shared is a problem halved.
I think I'm just feeling a bit guilty because things are going pretty well for me at the moment. I have a great boyfriend, plans to see the world, a pleasant if not dynamic working environment and a fantastic supportive family. I am grateful for it all and I know better than most that things are not always good so I have made a conscious effort to realise it when it is good and to hold on to it for as long as I can. So I should stop feeling bad and just be glad that I can be a shoulder to lean on or cry on if necessary because I don't have to deal with bad things of my own at the moment .

No comments: