Friday, May 20, 2005

Eurovision

I swore to anyone who would listen that there was no way I was going to sit through the semi finals of the Eurovision last night. No way! Never!
But what did I do? Yep I bloody watched it. Admittedly I flicked around a lot between it and other choice offerings such as the new episode of Charmed on Living and the Abi Titmuss documentary on Channel 4 but unfortunately the lure of the flashing lights and shiny sequins drew me into their spell. Oh dear God. What have I been reduced to?
There can be no doubt that there were more bum notes on the night then there are in the audition rounds of those Pop Idol shows. I can't believe some of them actually qualified. I'm thinking of the (I think it was Romania) little girl with the big yellow drums in particular for this part of the rant!
Anyway I patiently waited for Donna & Joe to do their thang as I had heard the rumors of Riverdance type choreography and considering the beat of the music was decidedly Eastern European in flavour I was curious about how that would fit in.
I will never learn.
It didn't fit with the song for those of you lucky enough to have missed it. Neither did Joe fit with the song. I spent the whole 3 mins (or whatever it was) of the performance mouth agape, turning slowly purple with embarrassment. I thought I had grown out of the need to hide behind the sofa whenever something horribly embarrassing happened to someone else on the telly. I definitely regressed last night.
I feel sorry for Donna she has a good enough voice but the song and her brother were a total disaster.
The block voting by the Eastern European countries would probably mean that we will never get into the competition proper ever again and judging by last night I think we should just cut our losses on the whole affair and keep our remaining pride as a nation intact.

3 comments:

Toad734 said...

What the hell is Eurovision?

Fi said...

Toad
This is a very strange European wide song contest which has been running for far too long now. Ireland has won it 7 times which is a record. As a result we expect to win it every year and for the past 7 or so have failed miserably.
I refer you to the link http://www.eurovision.tv/english/index.htm for further information on this year's competion which is due to take place on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

I dislike that symphonia.