Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Feeling Better Now Thanks for Asking

I have returned to face this new week full of vim and vigour! I'm finally over all the illnesses which have plagued me for the last fortnight and will stubbornly refuse to succumb to any more for at least 6 months!
Despite both Offaly and Westmeath losing on Sunday the trip to Croke park went well - admittedly there was one disappointed slightly sulky father to deal with, but I have seen him in worse form after watching his county being trashed. Though in all fairness with 19 wides kicked in the course of the match Offaly just aren't good enough at the moment. Overall the standard of football on Sunday was pretty poor I much prefer hurling anyway...
The highlight of the day for both myself and the boy was the presence of a very vocal but barely cognitive Laois Man in the seat directly behind us. For the record I have nothing against people from Laois and this man could have been from any of the 4 represented counties and it would still have been funny. From the moment he sat down (which was after the game had started) there emanated a constant and bewitching string of abuse and foul language which would have made even Shane McGowan blush. (An example goes something like this - Aragh for fuckÂ’s saaake dey havnt settled douwn yet for fuckÂ’s saaake dey need te settle douwn cÂ’maaan Laaaayyse fur fuckÂ’s sake fuckin cunts de baaastards)! This scene was completed by his equally ineloquent family joining in with choruses of "C'maaan Laaaysshe" every few minutes at different volumes and intensities. I don't feel that my account of the scene has really done the encounter true justice but lets just say the memories of that day will live for a long time in my heart!

No comments: