Thursday, September 08, 2005

Defeat at Lansdowne Road

image062.jpg
This is a shot I took of the Ireland v Italy friendly game which we also lost this summer....

Well it wasn't a good night for Irish soccer and despite the fact that I try to be upbeat about our performances in the face of all negativity I have to admit that after last night I don't think our chances for qualifying for the World Cup in Germany are particularly good.

I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with our team but I think that it is something do with the chemistry on the pitch. Individually we have some very talented and commited players. Damien Duff is a joy to watch and Robbie Keane fights hard and is a committed and talented goal scorer. In mid field Roy Keane is breath taking and he played out of his skin last night the only problem being the yellow card and consequentially he won't be available for the Cyprus game. In fact the loss of Morrison, Reid and Keane is a real blow to our chances. In my opinion the ref was definately over zealous with his cards and did us no favours. But besides all that we should have done better last night. Since the draw was made it was known that this game against France at home would be the high light of the qualifying schedule and in the end it just didn't match up to the standard of game that I know I was expecting.

I'm gutted and I'm annoyed. We need to start playing like we really want qualification and if we do that maybe we will, but I'm not holding my breath...

No comments: