Sunday, February 19, 2006

On Empty Vessels

It is only when you are forced to mix with people and have no choice as to who it is you are sitting next to or walking in front of that you truly realise just how dumb some people really are. My prime examples for this little rant will be taken from my recent experiences at the cinema.

I'm sure we've all had to suffer through the indignity of having our chairs kicked or popcorn crunched loudly in our ears while attending the cinema, and while annoying, these events come with the territory and just have to be endured. However we have recently come across a much more annoying and to me baffling form of aggravation at the cinema. Talking. Out loud and throughout the whole film.

What is the point of that? Surely you pay nearly nine quid in to see a movie because you want to see it not because you want to talk to your mate? Or am I missing something? The prime culprits seem mostly to be young women in groups of two between the ages of 18 and 25. My advice is to avoid at all costs or risk having to become obnoxious and slightly aggressive in a bid to get them to shut the hell up.

On a different note, on my way out of Good Night and Good Luck this weekend I happened to overhear a particulary vacuous but amusing conversation between two such empty vessels.

Girl One: That was shite.
Girl Two: Nah I liked it, but if me ma asks me what it was about I won't be able to tell her.
Girl One: Yeah I liked it too.
Girl Two: But it was confusing right?
Girl One. Oh yeah, definately.

I used to think we were a nation that was able to pride ourselves on our education and intelligence. Yet the more I look around the more depressingly obvious it is to me that most people just reflect exactly it is that Ed Murrow warned us about fifty years ago. And it would appear that it is unlikely to improve.

No comments: