Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The art of the PFO

I sent off a bunch of letters and CV's last week to various high profile solicitors in the Midlands just to test the waters. To be honest I really didn't expect to get any acknowledgement from any of them or any indication at all that the application had been received as it was unsolicited. However I received my first PFO today! And I'm pleased! Well at least it means the application was received and they said they would keep me in mind should they start looking for apprentices which is a little ray of hope that I'm going to hold onto! I'm not ready to take up a position immediately anyway as we have the travelling planned first but at least my name is out there and maybe I'll be remembered in the future. Yah never know!

I'm about to post a review of Good Night and Good Luck on the other site now and am then going to watch the champions league! Better be quick as it's rapidly approaching 7.45!

But ugh speed and me are not good friends at the moment! I think the combination of the extra walking distance to and from work, the longer day, and curves is really draining my energy! Plus I seem to be eating more than I really need which is counteracting the point of exercising.... Feck it! I'm hungry!

4 comments:

Red Mum said...

I did get a call back for a second interview once a year after I got what I thought was a PFO letter and the second interview was about getting to know me. And I got the job.

So as you say, you never know. Travelling is great for the interm....

Paige A Harrison said...

The PFO is a right of passage. I've fond memories of receiving one from a company who many years later tried to headhunt me. The sycophantic HR manager told me that my CV was made for his company. He even boldly claimed that an example of their corporate humanity was that they never sent out PFO letters prefering instead to be constructive and helpful by ringing unsuccessful applicants. I resisted the temptation to tell him, I'd obviously missed his call. But I decided his company and their creepy HR manager didn't deserve me so I resisted all financial inducements. Even got to ring him and tell him, "Thanks, but no thanks" You see I never send out PFO letters!

Red Mum said...

LOL at Paige, ahhhh how sweet are those little or not so little victories we chance upon every now and again...

Fi said...

Thanks guys!
I got a nicer one today that suggested I try again in 12 months! I found that one very encouraging and you can bet your ass I'll try agin in 12 months!