Friday, June 30, 2006

The Quarter Finals (part 1)

Part 1 of the World Cup 2006 Quarter Finals took place today and I am very disappointed that Argentina were knocked out. I am also very disappointed that Messi didn't get a chance to play today. What was Peckerman thinking? You can't play a defensive holding game in the quarter final of the World Cup. Especially not against the host nation who happen to be Germany, and have a habit of over achieving in that particular competion. It's a shame that they're gone as I really thought that a Brazil v Argentina final would have been an ultimate match. However it is not to be.

The Italy v Ukraine game was predictable and there's not much to say apart from I'm glad Italy made it look easy and I think they have an excellent team despite the fact they don't have a star striker, they make defending a joy to watch and that has to be applauded.

As for tomorrow's games. Well England v Portugal and Brazil v France ooooohhhhh yeah it should be a great day's viewing alright.

Though typically England once again have all the luck on their side in this competition. I nearly had a fit watching the Holland v Portugal game last weekend. Not because of the crazy/dirty play on exhibition but because Portugal seemed to be determined to weaken their side to make it easier for the English to beat them! I can't say I hold out much hope of them being able to win tomorrow and much as it pains me would predict that England will make the semi finals. I only hope that they make this bitter pill easier to swallow by playing some decent football, but I won't hold my breath.

As for Brazil v France, well if Zidane keeps playing like he did against the Spanish this has the potential to be one of the best games of the competition. I am looking forward to it!

No comments: