Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Secret Shame (the latest one)

I have in the past listed some of my secret obsessions and the accompanying sense of shame I have at these activities in the past. They have included James Blunt and Harry Potter and that's all I'm prepared to say regarding a recap.

My latest secret shame is one I think I probably share with a lot of people at the moment and it truly is morally reprehensible.

I am currently obsessed with I'm a Celebrity... Get me out of here!

It's a show for those of you not familiar with it that uses the battered egos of one time "celebrities" who are desperate to recapture the fame that was once theirs. They are dumped in the Australian outback in a camp with little or no facilities and have to compete in horrendous tasks involving muck, slime, creepy crawlies, spiders, snakes, jumping out of airplanes... the list continues, all in order to win food. The British Public vote for the celebrity who takes on the task and they can be very very cruel.

This year amongst others we have David Gest, Jason Donovan, Mylene Klasse, Dean Gaffney and Toby Anstis. They are the ones I had heard of before the show started, the rest were unknowns to me but as is to be expeceted I now know all about them! Hence why people do it I guess.

This year there's a woman call Jan Leeming on it who I believe reads the news in England, is in her fifties, moans constantly, and she is getting hammered in the tasks. At this stage she has been voted to do more horrible things in order to win food than anyone else in the history of the show. And worse still it's compulsive viewing.

I feel so bad watching this cruelty and yet I tune in every evening. I draw the line at lifting the phone though. Does that make it any better?

Nah didn't think so either?

No comments: