Wednesday, November 01, 2006

All Hallow's eve

The difference between the celebration of the night of the spirits in the Irish countryside compared to the cities is truly startling!
For the past ten years I have been used to battling my way through gangs of intimidating younsters flinging bangers at me, each other, the local cat, or old people. I've hated every one of them. The noise usually starts sometime in September and intensifies the closer it gets to October 31st.

Now I know Minister for Fun McDowell has put legislation in place that is supposed to make the sale and use of such fireworks illegal so this year maybe (I'm not sure I believe the hype) things were different in Dublin.

Bonfire

Here in the midlands however last night was bordering on a religious experience! It was surreal and heartwarming and fun and truly surprising. Neighbours of my parents had built a huge bonfire on the hill behind our house and once it was lit I could see it from where my house is which is at least 4 miles away. As I approached the fire the roads were full of children on trick or treating missions, and cars parked all the way up our road without an inch to spare. At the fire itself there was some chat but mostly a warm and welcoming silence with people greeting each other with a nod as they stared into the seering heat of the flames. From the vantage point we could see at least six other fires and the most amazing fire works displays, which illegal or not were breathtaking. Someone nearby had spent a lot of money to have such a huge and long lived display, it was beautiful.

As the night got colder we were all invited into the neighbours house for wine, tea, sandwiches, games the whole works. It was a fantastic evening and if the purpose was to keep the spirits happy then they weren't the only ones appeased and refreshed.

1 comment:

Seoman said...

Wow that sounds wonderful. What Haloween really should be about!