Saturday, February 24, 2007

Ireland's Call....

So here we sit on the cusp of another historic occasion in this Nation's long history.

Ireland are to play England on the hallowed turf of Croke Park, with the ghosts of Tipperary captain Michael Hogan and the other 13 people, including children, who were murdered there by the British in 1920 no doubt also in attendance (see link).

Some state this is a time for us as a Nation to heal, to forgive and to move on. Others feel it will never be the right time to forgive and have stated their protest loudly for all to hear.

For me I'm not happy about hearing God Save the Queen being played there. But then it's not a particularly good tune anyway. La Marseillaise when played always sounds uplifting and seems to encourage aspirations to greatness. Hearing it played two weeks ago in Croke Park was thrilling and exciting. My personal anxiety over the game and it's result was so great I woke myself up suffering from abject disappointment after that heart breaking defeat that night.

We can't win the Grand Slam now. Let the English play their song, I won't sing along and I won't like it but then I never do no matter where it's played.

We better beat them though. Defeat would be a shame too great to bear right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it you heard the English National anthem, then. Did it bother you as much as you thought it would? I'd be interested to know....

Fi said...

It didn't bother me like I thought it would to be honest. It was an incredibly emotional moment for me and everyone that I spoke to about it. But I think it was an important part of the healing process. I'm glad it happened. And I'm glad it was at a rugby game as well.